Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Closer Look- Philippians 3:7-21

I’m going to be straight with you, that is just who I am. God is stirring something inside my heart and I’m not sure what it means or how far it goes. We just recently passed the one year mark for our ministry here at FBC Perrysburg and I have had to step back and try and take a critical look at the past year. My desire is to see this ministry grow not just in number but in relationships with Christ. To make disciples! Have we been successful in our mission?

Looking at my life I have to ask, am I being the best husband, father, youth pastor, friend, servant of Christ that I can be? These are some of the many questions I have been asking. As I go to the Lord in prayer I have thrown these questions out on the table. Trembling I have asked, “Is there something I am doing/not doing that is hindering this ministry?” God is good, and He is gracious. He has placed us here because this is where we are supposed to be, this much I know for sure.

I know that we can always do better, that is a part of constantly becoming more like Christ, but that is not the main point of my questions. Am I being a stumbling block or a building block? Am I leading others closer to Christ, or keeping them from Him? I know me, inherently I am selfish, and I am a sinner. Even though Christ has changed me and I am a new creature, I still wrestle with this temporary suit of flesh. Why do I pay so much attention to the groans and whims of it? My heart seeks with everything in me to diligently and closely follow Christ, forget self and be used by God in whatever form or fashion that He sees fit. But I am weak, my flesh is weak. This is no excuse.

As I am reading over the past few paragraphs it dawns on me that someone may think I am about to reveal some big secret or some major change; I am not. I just want to say that I am hungry, hungry for His righteousness. Hungry to be more like Christ! I do not want to waste my life with things of this world that have no lasting value, no eternal significance. Yet as I look at the energy and time I devote to these things and their acquisition, I get a little sick. I wonder if I am building up castles of sand in this life, only to see them quickly vanish with the tides.


So what is important now? I’m not saying that you or I should radically abandon everything, and move to India. I’m not even saying that we should radically stop buying a $4 coffee or playing video games. All I’m saying is that we ought to radically abandon our lives to Jesus Christ; every square inch, every crevice, everything that we hold dear. And if you are like me, we should re-do this often. I encourage you to do a self-inventory, and to go before the Lord for an evaluation. So that we can see through His eyes, love through His heart, and touch the nations with His grace.